And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly. Our senses, restored, never to be the same, whisper to us. They existed. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed.
-Maya Angelou

Thursday, January 5, 2023

9 Years ... His Memory Is A Blessing

"Dedicated to Jack. May His Memory Always Be A Blessing"
(Shared Struggles)

After Jack died, I heard the words "May his memory be a blessing" from several of my friends, all of whom are Jewish. These words felt profound and meaningful, and they touched me when I heard them in reference to Jack. Barry shared these words with me several times over the years of working on the book together. When it came time to write the dedication to the book, there was no question as to who the book would be dedicated to. But along with Jack's name, I knew I wanted to also include those words that touched me so deeply the first time I heard them in reference to Jack. I didn't know if it would be appropriate for me to include the words because I'm not Jewish, so I reached out to a good friend who is Jewish to ask her what she thought. She assured me that it was absolutely okay and said,"it fits Jack perfectly." 

The literal Hebrew translation is "may his (or her) memory be for a blessing." The words don't simply mean may we look back fondly on our memories of that person or our time with them as a blessing, but rather we look towards the future and are expressing a desire that the person's memory and the actions they performed while they were alive will inspire us and others to continue on their legacy of committing good deeds; that there will be future good deeds and future merit on the basis of the foundation of good deeds in that person's life.  

There are many who encountered Jack during his life who will never understand or "get" how he taught, inspired and carried out good deeds without ever speaking a word or performing a single act. But those of us who truly knew Jack can attest that he did. And he continues to do so through the lessons he taught me, many of which became words in a book, and thereafter words spoken to more than a thousand listeners over this last year. Jack's presence in this world was as Teacher, and his legacy as Teacher continues through the words in a book he inspired and the dialogue and actions that are inspired because of those words.

While I am certain some may feel I exaggerate the impact Jack had on the world, I can rest in the certainty of the impact he had on me. Nine years after his death, Jack's memory is, without question, "for a blessing." 

I love him. I miss him. I'll see him again. 


"Not a second of any minute of any hour of any day passes when I am not aware of the presence of your absence, no matter how many years lurk over my shoulder."

ONWARD












1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Read again & again, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete